Some of the lyrics to one of my favorite songs is as follows:
I stand amazed in the presence,
Of Jesus the Nazarene,
And wonder how He could love me,
A sinner, condemned unclean.
How marvelous! How wonderful!
And my song shall ever be:
How marvelous! How wonderful!
Is my Savior's love for me!
He took my sins and my sorrows,
He made them His very own;
He bore the burden to Calvary,
And suffered and died alone.
When with the ransomed in glory
His face I at last shall see,
'Twill be my joy through the ages
To sing of His love for me!
- I Stand Amazed in the Presence
This song strikes a chord within my soul. It speaks of the love that Jesus has for me. If you stop and think about how holy and great He is, then take a moment to compare us to Him - we dont'... we can't live up to the standard.
Usually if something doesn't live up to my standard it is hard for me love it. Especially when it falls short. For example - I have been craving a really good hamburger. It is February in Nebraska and my grill needs to be fired up. Until that happens, I will have to settle for some restaurant burger. There are a few that top my list here in Nebraska. There are times I can taste that burger in my mouth with all the toppings piled high. I can see myself take a bit and have a glimpse of what Heaven will be like!
Often times I build up that burger and set the standard so high there is no chance of it living up to that standard.
That is how you are I are when it comes to God. We have no chance of living up to the perfect standard He has set. Instead of leaving us hopeless and helpless - God chose to love us. His love is shown through the person and work of Jesus Christ. Jesus lived the perfect life I could never live and then died in MY place on MY cross, taking MY punishment.
How can we not "stand amazed" at what He has done? Just like the second verse of the song tells us:
"He took my sins and my sorrows,
He made them His very own;
He bore the burden to Calvary,
And suffered and died alone."
My relationship with Jesus doesn't end there. He died, but He didn't stay dead. He came back to life and destroyed the power of death over me! How Marvelous! How Wonderful!
When I think of what makes a good relationship - I think of love. Unconditional love. Love that puts someone before self. Love that says I will serve you. Love that is exemplified by Jesus giving up His life so that I could live.
I have had a lot of different relationships in my life. Some good, some bad, but one has been greater than all of them. My relationship with Jesus - one in which I am COMPLETELY known. Think about that. He knows everything. Every sin, every mistake, every thought and still loves me. Not only does He love me - He is changing me from the inside out.
Thursday, February 20, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment